Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mercedes Bateman

Mother's Day is a day where most people celebrate their mothers and even grandmothers but this day, I honour it to my gran-aunt, Mercedes Bateman. Don't get me wrong, I did celebrate this day with my mother and both of my grandmothers by acknowledging the day, giving presents and sending/showering many 'thank you's ' but, I feel the person who also deserves acknowledgement is my gran-aunt.This woman, at the age of 70+ still remembers every child in my family that she took care off.

Somewhere in the mid-50's and early-60's, my gran-aunty, or aunty May I fondly call her, sacrificed her whole life looking after her nieces and nephews. Most married men in my family ( her brothers, about 13 of them ) had working wives, and so my aunty May took the role of surrogate mother to my dad, my godmother and all their cousins !

She toiled at her home doing household chores, looking after and providing much love to her nephews and nieces. Many grew attached to her. As each one of her nephews and nieces grew up, many forgot the sacrifices she made. My aunty May gave up her life and everything that made her happy including her love-life( she is a spinster ).

Through the years, my aunty May suffered much scorn from the mothers of the children she took care off. They were jealous that their children had gotten attached to my aunty May. My aunty May never took anything they did or said, to heart. She is very pious thus, she believes in forgiving and forgetting ( something I admire most ).

Those who remembered her, took her in their home as ailments of old age struck her poor soul. My family regularly visited her and enjoyed the short stays at our home. She too looked after me and my siblings. When I was young, I loved to play with her gold bangles ( I spun them here and there and everywhere ). She was always there when I needed her most. At her age, you would think she would be living a little in the past, but that is not the case with her, she lives for the future. However, as the years crept by, her ailments intensified and it was time to place her in an old folks home as she needed assistance from nurses and physicians. My family and my uncles ( not closely related but grew up with her too ) found the most prestigious place so that she could recover. When she was leaving, it broke all our hearts eventhough she was moving to a place so nearby to my home.

She is recovering now. My family visits her regularly. And, she seems extremely happy. Although there are still some who murmur mean things about her, it is ignored. My aunty May has suffered so much. Now she deserves the best. She had called earlier and we chatted for awhile. I miss her dearly.

My aunty May ... a mother like no other ! ... Happy Mother's Day.

-conRad-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home