Saturday, March 11, 2006

Eleanor ... And The Magic Of A Birthday !

My 1 year old cousin, Eleanor , turns ... uh ... well ... 1 ... Today !!! She's the little darling of the family now ... The youngest of the youngest !

Today, I followed Sonia to school for Pn.Jaya's MUET class. I always wanted to attend one of her classes. She started off with a speaking test. Something about students shifting from rural to urban areas. The class was dumb-founded. I was dumb-founded !!!

However, things got much more interesting when Pn.Jaya proposed the topic on Women's Rights, which incidently was one of News Straits Times' front cover headline. The girls got heated up and most guys ( excluding me ) got defensive. I wasn't perturbed by the topic as I am proud to say, I am a Women's Rights activist !!! I truly believe that women, especially in Malaysia, are under represented.

Everyone was throwing points as if it was nuclear bombs ! Pn.Jaya was annoyed by some comments made, but she kept her cool. Sonia and I were mostly enjoying how Poobalan, Ee Mun, Debbi, Boon Chong and Shee Lok were arguing about anything and everything concerning Women's Rights. They got so heated up !!! Both Sonia and I reflected on the roles of man and woman, marriage, and financial stability of women and men.

After class had ended, Sonia and I had a very insightful chat with Pn.Jaya. Then, we had breakfast in Sanping before returning home on the LRT.

Later in the evening, I traveled along with my family to Petaling Jaya for Eleanor's first birthday party ! I met my twin cousins. Usually at this functions, we always hang out together. We chatted for quite sometime and then, the games started. My uncle had gotten the A&W bear to come over. According to my aunt, no one is to escape the games the A&W team had prepared. At first my sis, cousins and I felt out of place with the smaller, younger kids. But, my uncle and his best friends started joining in, making things much more lively. We danced, sang and ate our way to win the kiddie goodies that the A&W bear had to give out!

After the A&W bear left, my uncle started his own brand of games. The pinata was fun, but us big kids stayed out of this game. Pin the tail on the donkey was fun. My uncle started of with the adults and teenagers first. I firstly pinned the tail on my uncle's butt (without him knowing), much to my cousin's and uncle's bestfriends' delight. They took so many photos and congratulated me on a very sneaky prank ! When it came to my turn to really pin the tail, I strategised first! I figured that if I ran my fingers on the pins holding the donkey, I might just get the right spot to pin . Lo and behold, I pinned it perfectly well. Unfortunately, everyone said I cheated and so I had to redo. This time they spun me so hard I almost lost my balance. As was trying to pin the tail, I felt something was amiss, after pinning the tail only did I find out that I pinned it at the right place again but my uncle purposely pulled the damn donkey away !!! Thus, I pinned the tail a few centimetres away !!!

Then later, I was incharge of handling the pin the tail on the donkey game for the adults. That's when my cousins and I plotted to annoy them. We turned the board upside down, lead them out of the house still blindfolded, let them pin on things like an aquarium and drove them to insanity by confusing them with the directions of where the tail is ! When it was my aunt's turn, she tried making us promise to not move anything or bully her. She ended up pinning Elmo's nose on my eye ! Go figure !

I had a great time. It was fun reverting back to how we used to enjoy each other's company. For my uncles, cousins and me, it was like being a goofy whacky family again. I miss those times.

-conRad-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home