Friday, December 09, 2005

The Birthday, The Present, and The Very Long Flight.

It's ... SONIA'S BIRTHDAY ...

Ok, so it is technically not Sonia's birthday anymore, but, who cares ? Who said you couldn't celebrate even if it's past a day ?

My family left to the Kuala Lumpur International Airport [ KLIA ] to see my Godfather off. On the way to KLIA, usually one would pass a lush green forest of palm oil trees, unspecified species of greenery and also catch tiny glimpses of housing estates and a small town. It got me thinking about life there. I imagined myself happy and at peace. It put a little smile on my face, places like these give me a slight sense of comfort.

But, my heart raced when I realised that there were no shopping malls, no cinemas, no Starbucks and Coffee Bean and most of all no party life . It was then did I realise that I am a "city boy". Maybe I'll learn to live in a quiet town once I'm old and grey.

In KLIA, I did a little shopping to get Sonia's birthday present. I finally settled on a fragrance set from Body Shop. My godfather and his family, along with a few friends, were fashionably late, and when they came, everyone was kinda happy to see each other. We were all standing around, chatting and laughing, the flight was delayed you see.

Uncle Trevor was up to his usual upbeat self, always cracking jokes here and there, making all of us laugh non-stop. He tried to give my aunt a ride on the baggage cart, he said we are all young at heart. HaHa ...

Everyone got kinda bored waiting in front of the "checking-in" counter, so we moved to the viewing lobby [ where you see the plane depart and arrive ]. My brother and my cousin's cousin, Estella, were livid when they both saw planes coming and going. Children...

Anyways, soon the time came for my godfather to depart. My grandmother didn't go to the airport because she was scared she would be too emotional. She cried a few times for a few days. Within our tight circle of friends and family, the atmosphere was tense and sad. My godfather said his goodbye's and so did we. Some of us dropped a few tears but oddly enough I didn't, I'm usually the over emotional one .

My cousin had tons of advice thrown at him. My mum, my dad [ his godfather ], aunties, and his godmother kept reminding him that he was the "man" of the house now and that he should not cause any trouble and that education should not be taken lightly. I have nothing but sympathy for him, because, no teenager wants to be reminded of his or her responsibilities ... believe me, I know ... we already know what we have to do, stop making us feel drowned ...

After all that stuff, we all headed home, I was a bit sad. A new song by Il Divo featuring Celine Dion was a nice comfort to listen to on the way home, it was called " Believe In You".

Later, at around 9pm, Kash, Thiru and Matt picked me up to go to Sonia's house to give her a small surprise. We all had cake [ brought by Shamelan... it was 4kg...] , chatted, and took pictures. Sonia opened my present and yelped quite loudly, she seemed to like the present, I hope so ? ...

Now, I'm here, at home, with a splitting headache, praying and worrying, that my godfather has a safe flight to England and that he has no problem at the customs in England. He brought a few knives in his baggage [ not hand luggage ] ... what do you expect from a chef ? It's a very long flight ... I'll miss him ... hope he remembers to declare those knives in Heathrow Airport .

-conRad-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home