Sunday, April 16, 2006

The resurrection, The Cross, and The Forest Reserve.

Wednesday: A few from my class ( U6BM ) and about 90% of U6BF students all went for a day of a fun-filled expedition through the Forest Research Institute of Malaysia's ( FRIM ) ... forest ! All of us were quite excited, be that we were missing a whole day of school. No Maths, no Chemistry and no Biology to worry about. The trip there was rather a boring one. Most of us were quiet in the bus. The bus driver himself was a pain the a**. When we reached FRIM, Mr. Leong and Mr. Kali ( our teacher advisors ) decided that we should fatten ourselves up ( but not too much .. ) before we jungle trek through the forest. As soon as we finished, we met up with our guide, a young malay man ( the only malay within our very large group ). He first took us to the man-made pond ( it was once a mining shaft ... I think thats what you call it ? ). He told us to clap our hands when we reach the pond because the 'Dragon Fish' which dwells within will surface. None of us expected to see what we saw. The fish was about the length of our body or larger and it was red ( it's fins on the upper body would stick out of the water ... thus giving the impression of a dragon under water ). According to the guide, FRIM gives home to the largest Dragon Fish in the world. Did I forget to mention that this fish when hungry, can devour a human being ? ... *shudders*

We then were dragged into the FRIM's museum which houses the longest ratan ( rotan ; 65 metres ), humongous tree stumps, all types of wood displays ( types of wood, carved beds and many other things ) and also different types of insects and plants. All of us ( after a very long and boring talk by the guide ), were given sometime to check out the stuff in the museum, which translates to us as = run around here and there whilst taking many many pictures of ourselves and friends.

And finally, after all that, we were taken into the jungle. The guide gave us first a briefing on the rules and regulations before we enter the forest ... much blah-ing after that, we trekked through the jungle and every now and then we would be stopped to listen to the guide's rant on the plants that he decides to show us. For the first half of trek, the guide made a few frequent stops but after that, it was quite a smooth sail. Denise, Tinesh, Suzanne, Jino, Phak Hoe, Benjamin, Phon and I were the ones right at the end of the group. We were the ones either making so much noise, taking photos, or making fun of Jino ( because he said that his camera would save him if he was lost in the jungle ... hahaha !!! ) the whole time. Hence, we got much 'ssshhh'-ing from Mr. Leong. We all experienced so much in the forest/jungle ( I just realised I have been referring to it as forest and jungle the whole time ... whats the difference between these two words ? ). I had spectacular views of the lush greenery. We were even taken to the area known as the 'postcard area' because it appeared in the National Geographic Magazine. It was so picture-sque. Even the trees high above us looked like intricately woven carpets. So beautiful. Needless to say, we didn't see much animals, except a chameleon, ugly leeches and I saw a big beautiful bird ( which oddly enough I forgot about - I read yesterday's newspaper about jungle spirits and how they disguise themselves as big beautiful birds too lure forest visitors away from the group ... *a cold chill down my spine* ... did anyone else see that bird ? )

We all missed the canopy walk because it was apparently under repair or was it because they were moving big rocks away ? ... I forgot ... Anyway, to ease us, the guide took us to two very beautiful waterfalls. The first was a small one where most us climbed up the rocks to take pictures. The rest just stood around or played in the small stream. The second waterfall was huge and very slippery. The group rested there ( on a very big rock ), whilst the restless ones jumped up and down in the water or climbed up to the top of the waterfall. Let me just say that it wasn't a very easy climb because it was very slippery. At the top, I took two pictures of Phak Hoe and Ben, which I don't think turned out nice at all. Sorry Ben ! ... *sheepish smile*. When everyone finally came down from the waterfall, we took a group picture and headed off to the cafeteria again. Along the way, Suzanne went home ( her uncle picked her up ).

The journey back to VI was fun at first till the bus driver screamed at us for being too noisy. After all that drama, the idiot ( the bus driver I mean ), took us in circles before we finally reached VI, and shouted from one end to another to engage in conversation with another bus driver. There are more names I would like to use on him but I shall let it be. He will suffer in hell ... I'm praying for it.

*it's funny how Denise and Ben never blogged about our whole trip to FRIM*


Friday: Good Friday was celebrated at Assumption Church in Petaling Jaya at 11.30am. My family and I arrived on time which meant, no available seats in or out the church. It was so jammed packed. It started to rain somewhere in the middle of the service and those sitting in between the tents provided got drenched in rain because all the rain water splashed on them , poor souls ! The rain never stopped even after the service at church ended which was at 2.00pm. Being the eldest meant sacrificing myself and get wet in the rain when running to the car. My younger brother and sister had the umbrellas to themselves ... *mutters something bad * The good thing about Good Friday was that I got to miss school and tuition ... eeerrr... not that it meant much or anything ...!

Saturday: Easter Virgil. At 5.00pm, me and my family already left home to Assumption Church to celebrate Easter ( the rising of our Lord ). We got there at around 6.00pm ( because my dad took two wrong turns and we ended up in Subang Jaya ! ). Again, the church inside was packed but my mom and I found places outside the church. My sister got shoved in between to old ladies in the church ( Haha ! ). When Mass begun, it started to rain again. It was so cold and everyone was pushed under the tents provided. Which meant, hardly enough space to move. The best part about the rain ? Everyone ( hundreds of people ) being shoved closer to each other, because when all of us sung, it was melodious. I was so jubilant at that point. I felt something ... like a sprout of joy from within as we all sang together. For that moment everything felt it would be okay.

After Mass, I was supposed to go to VI for the Indian Cultural Society Show. But the rain put a damper on things and when I called Sonia, she said the practically almost everything was ending. However, my dad was very keen on sending me there, eventhough I said that there was no point in going. I made my decision to go after much persuasion from my dad ( which is odd because he would usually say that I shouldn't go for these things ! ). When We reached VI, all the roads were blocked because Stadium Negara was having a concert of all Indonesian rockers. When I finally made it to VI I managed to catch a few shows.

Overall, from what I saw, everything seemed great. All the performances ( by the Victorians, girls included, were spectacular ). Sonia looked the prettiest amongst all of the eventhough, during her dance performance, she missed a couple of steps. Her partner on the other hand, looked as though he was being electrocuted all the time. I went home with Matthew and Farid on the LRT. These to fellas were so interested in Punitha and Asvini, unfortunately for them, the girls are both taken.


Today: Easter. My mum made pie and a few cookies. My family left me home alone today because they had to fetch back my grandmother from Rawang. So basically I spent the whole day cleaning up my mum's mess of making the pie and cookies, run in the rain to take in the clothes on the line and watching TV. As you can tell, I spent the whole weekend doing no studying or any homework. I am so going to pass my STPM. *sighs* ... when am I going to learn ?

-conRad-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home